Loose backstay

Need help with your San Juan 21? Got a hot tip on how to make your boat go faster? Easier to sail? This is the place to go.

Moderator: Charmed Juan

Loose backstay

Postby Nida_Vancouver_BC » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:22 pm

Recently purchased a beautiful San Juan 21 in Vancouver, BC. Had previously been used to sailing my parents' Jeanneau 22. The backstay on our boat appears to be very loose. So much so that the mast is visibly leaning aft and jerks about 1ft on top when the tension shifts between forestay and backstay. There is a 4:1 block for the backstay ending in a fiddle block where the rope is already pulled as tightly as possible. Shroud and forestay turnbuckles were taped up so I assumed they were at a reasonable tension when the mast was up. The forestay turnbuckle looks to be somewhere in the middle of its range. Is tightening this all that's needed to bring tension to the backstay? I assume I should loosen the shrouds and tighten the forestay but I don't expect it to move the mast all that much. Is it possible the forestay is too long? TtgThe previous owner mentioned he replaced them himself last year so I'm beginning to question his measuring skills.

I've searched all over and can only find tension adjustment to optimise speed but no-one with an uncomfortably loose backstay. Any help appreciated.
Nida_Vancouver_BC

Re: Loose backstay

Postby Krysia Ry » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:17 am

Single or split backstay? Do you have any pics? Are you sure you have her rigged properly? It isn't too difficult to re-swage your stays if the previous owner was mathematically challenged.
Cheers
Bill
Krysia Ry

Re: Loose backstay

Postby Nida_Vancouver_BC » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:29 pm

Thanks for the reply. You were right - there was an extra snap shackle attached to the forestay (one I've normally seen used as halyard shackle) which gave it a few extra inches, and it appears that was all it took. Once the extra shackle was removed and forestay turnbuckle tightened the backstay was almost fully extended so she was ready to go. We made it from Vancouver to Sechelt and even caught the World Cup at Gibsons on our way back!
Nida_Vancouver_BC

Return to Help Me - Tips, Tricks, & Secrets