Parting out our beloved San Juan

Post SJ21 items for sale or trade. Remember that you can add photos as well. If you are looking for an item or boat to buy, post here as well.

Moderator: Charmed Juan

Parting out our beloved San Juan

Postby Mike Knox » Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:11 pm

No reasonable offer will be refused. If you want the entire boat, WE WILL MAKE YOU A VERY GENEROUS OFFER.

Sail #178. Broke her center board, and it costs too much to repair it. The nearly 50 year old hull and superstructure need lots of work, we're 67, and it just doesn't pencil out. Neither of our kids, and none of our extended family want to learn to sail her. So it's time to part her out. We are the second owners, and were the racing crew for the first owner, so we have known this San Juan since it was brand new. It's been a single lake cruising boat since the late 1980's. The mast has been stepped but once a year, most years, even when she was a racer.

We have four sails: main, jib, genoa, and spinnaker. All were made by North Wind. Each sail has it's own sailbag. The main has the most wear, but is in good shape; it is missing one batten. The jib will come with all the hardware and lines for rolling and reefing. The Genoa, (it's window is still clear-no yellowing) has hardly ever been out of it's sailing bag. The spinnaker is light orange in color, all the spinnaker hardware and rigging are in good condition.

The cushions for below deck are original, and have been stored in dry storage for almost 25 years. The vinyl is mustard yellow in color, same as her hull. The cushions are in "So-so" condition.

The teak has been periodically resealed, but I cannot truthfully say it's anything other than "decent". All teak is original to the boat, and all is available.

We have lots of hardware, all in good shape. Mostly stainless steel. The boom and mast are in great condition. All sheets, shrouds and lines are in excellent shape. We have two tinted plexiglass hatchway covers. We have two ports for hauling the spinnaker up from below deck each sealed by o-ring. The side windows on the superstructure are in "better-than-nothing" condition.

The tilt trailer is single axle, new bearings two years ago, and has brand new LED lights and brand new wiring harness. We have a long shaft Honda 4-stroke outboard motor with pressurized fuel tank, and a tilt motor mount.

No reasonable offer will be refused, you pay shipping costs, and for the right fee,weI'll even deliver larger items (you MUST have a flexible time schedule), or at least meet you halfway.

Everything is in Ashland Oregon, and ready for transfer to your San Juan. If you want the entire boat, WE WILL MAKE YOU A VERY GENEROUS OFFER.

You can PM me on the board, or e-mail direct to mikeknox@bisp.net, or telephone me at 541-488-3258.
Mike Knox

Re: Parting out our beloved San Juan

Postby coachsailor1 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:06 am

Hi Mike,

Sorry to hear about your keel. I had mine rebuilt last year and it wasn't cheap! :(

I own a 1983 MK111 and have the original mainsheet system. I think I would like to go to more of a mid boom traveler system, but the expense is prohibitive. What is the system on your SJ 21? Would it be something I could purchase from you?

Also, I purchased a deck organizer that installs under the mast plate to lead the main and jib sheets back to the cockpit. I need all of the necessary hardware to make that happen. Do you have 2 blocks, 2 cleats, etc., that I could also purchase that would allow this?

I live in Portland, Oregon

My email is: teachercoach@msn.com

Thank you!
Tim Alexander
coachsailor1

Postby Mike Knox » Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:48 pm

Here's the reply that I sent to Tim via PM. In hindsight, I thought it might be helpful to others too.:
(the PDF file of the pricelist is too big - it's only two pages, and the reply feature on this board won't allow be to post it)

Hi Tim!

Thanks for your inquiry.

You wrote:

“I think I would like to go to more of a mid-boom traveler system, but the expense is prohibitive. What is the system on your SJ 21? Would it be something I could purchase from you?”

To be honest, I have no idea what you’re talking about.

“Also, I purchased a deck organizer that installs under the mast plate to lead the main and jib sheets back to the cockpit. I need all of the necessary hardware to make that happen. Do you have 2 blocks, 2 cleats, etc., that I could also purchase that would allow this?”

I think I understand this. We have two blocks that we don’t use, they attach to tracks that are atop the cabin, and would control the jib. We also have larger blocks and tracks that are on the gunnels on each side of the cockpit. They were installed by the first owner for the spinnaker. We use them to control the jib sheets.

At any rate, I don’t think we have what you’re looking for. I have a 5 year old pricelist for SJ21 parts from a guy in Washington. I don’t know if he’s still in business, but you might try him. I have scanned the list, and made it an attachment to this e-mail.

Hope this helps,

Mike Knox
Mike Knox

Postby balder.matt » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:41 pm

Hello Mike,

I am curious if the trailer is still available? I am in need of a new trailer and have been nursing my old salty ez-ruster along for the past few seasons.

If you do have it available, could you possibly send me a few pictures?

Thanks!
balder.matt

Postby 20Juan » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:05 am

Is your spinnaker still available?
20Juan

Postby Ron Cole » Sun May 01, 2016 11:03 am

Hello Mike,
I assume this is a MK I. Do you still have parts available? I am restoring a Mk I that had been neglected. I have successfully done a rebuild of the keel (that was more work than expected). Now turning to other tasks.
Regards,
Ron Cole
hull # CLK215960874
Ron Cole

Return to Items For Sale, Wanted, or Trade