Fall #1 Brownsville - Moorage

Most current Fleet 1 News. Post anything you want or need about upcoming races or events. Also let everyjuan know if you plan on attending the next race

Moderator: Charmed Juan

Fall #1 Brownsville - Moorage

Postby jaltice » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:17 pm

I called the marina and they've indicated single boats are on first-come, first-served basis. Fleets get a chance at reservations. As expected, the marina's filling up for that weekend. I intend to go over the night before (8/17) and head back to Seattle after racing's done (8/18). Does anyone else want to be part of an overnight fleet group so I can see if we can get reservations?

Only rock-solid firm commitments, please.
Ballard, WA
Parveen, Hull No. 366
jaltice@comcast.net
"There is no cannibalism in the British Navy; absolutely none. And when we say "none" we mean there is a certain amount."
jaltice

Re: Fall #1 Brownsville - Moorage

Postby cklamp » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:32 am

Jim, not sure If I can yet, will see about planning it out with J this weekend. I think she goes out of town on Saturday, so I need to be back in time to take her to the airport. Might end up having her mom take her, but then i'll have my dogs racing with me if I do:)

I was planning on going to brownsville Fri night, then to Port Orchard sat night... I'll let ya know as soon as I can.

later
C
cklamp
Site Admin

Postby cklamp » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:02 pm

as of now, i'm going, but won't be able to overnight. Joanna has an early flight out for work sat night/sun morning, so I have to be back Saturday evening. I have rainer as crew, so he'll be getting introduced to some more spinnaker work. Is anyone else going to day sail across and back? where are you planning to leave from?

The currents don't look great for a day sail over and back to be honest. It looks like slack for port orchard will be around noon, and it will be going out before that so we're not likely to get our boats through Agate till noon at the earliest, and that's obviously pushing it for start times. Even going back it will flooding till about 7 which is pretty late.

Someone check the tables out and let me know if i'm wrong on my assumptions though.

I'm thinking of launching at Don Armeni myself, it doesn't appear that it would take all that much longer to go that way as opposed to from shilshole.

I'll have to bring the big gas can I think:)

Thoughts?

Later
C
cklamp
Site Admin

Postby Capt. Woogy » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:14 pm

Wooglin is going to trailer in for the day.
CW
Chris Popich
Wooglin #986 MK1
Capt. Woogy

Postby Odd Juan » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:29 pm

I'm looking forward to seeing you guys over here again...

Looking at the tide tables for Brownsville, http://portofbrownsville.org/maps_links/tides.html
it looks like Christian is pretty much correct – but remember there is minimum current water on highs as well as lows. Use tidal current to your advantage.
On the 17th or 18th, the incoming tides will be high at about 6 AM and 6 PM, so going via Agate Pass so as to arrive at Brownsville by 6 AM or 6 PM should be very desirable. Sailing in the afternoon of the 17th or early morning of the 18th should be easy.

Leaving Brownsville on out going tides beginning about 6 AM or 6 PM on both days should be very helpful for heading toward Seattle.

It is considerably farther from Don Armeni to Brownsville than from Shilshole to Brownsville and going from Shilshole via Agate Pass (north of Bainbridge Island) you wouldn’t have the weird currents in Rich Passage or Ferry traffic to deal with. http://portofbrownsville.org/maps_links/areamap.html

(Trailering makes it easier to get here, and you don’t have to worry about moorage, and you can keep your boat out of the Salt Chuck overnight BUT you can’t spend the night in your boat on the trailer in the parking lot over night. – Only if it is moored in the marina.)

A suggestion:

For those who would like to go via Rich Passage (south of Bainbridge) or those who might like to just go down from Brownsville, Illahee State Park is a good place to stop and “stretch” – Good restrooms, no stores or other amenities, but a quiet place to spend the night on the dock (no power) or on a buoy and only a couple of miles from Brownsville.

In any case, be careful out there - see yas on the 18th.

Ivar
"Odd Juan" #1179
Odd Juan

Postby cklamp » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:51 pm

Ivar, thanks for the info... when looking at a map it didn't seem like it was that much farther coming from Don Armeni, but I admit I don't have the breadth of knowledge some of you guys do about certain areas of the sound, so it's much appreciated.

I'll probably come in from Shilshole even though going home might be a bit tough. I'm not sure what time agate starts to slow down enough to be passable, but maybe with the sails up, and the motor on we could power tack through there a bit sooner than 6:) since we're usually done with racing by about 3.

Although, mr Race Chairman, might start us a little late for this one, but i'm not sure since he hasn't piped up here yet:)

Later
C
cklamp
Site Admin

Postby Charmed Juan » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:31 am

Still looking into if i will make this one
Stephen Jensen

San Juan Sailboats
www.sjsailboats.com
206-714-9661
"Stephen @ sjsailboats.com"
Charmed Juan
Site Admin

Postby cklamp » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:30 am

If you do, are you sailing across as well? The main thing is that if you and/or the marks/etc are with the "fleet" that sails across, if any of us run into issues with the current, half the fleet isn't getting DNS':)

Later
C
cklamp
Site Admin

Postby cklamp » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:10 pm

Some more info from Ivar...

later
C

I suspect a miscommunication…

While at Brownsville this morning (usually there on Sat AMs) I spoke with the Port Manager – Jerry Rowland – about the weekend of 17/18…
He says there is only one group coming in on Friday/Saturday – The West Seattle Yacht Club. There should be no problem handling a group of SJ 21s.

I think that when your call was made, the wrong questions were asked/answered.

It is correct that Brownsville does not make reservations for single boats, but a group or Fleet of any size can make reservations.
All they ask is an estimate of how many (no minimum) might show up so they can allocate space. Even if a group says they might have 10 boats coming and only 4 show up, there is no ‘gig’ on them. Every boat pays for overnight moorage individually anyway.

If 5 are planned and more than ‘planned’ show up, the Marina will find space for all.

Also true is that weekends here get very busy – especially on the launch ramp in mornings and evenings. Group/fleet boats with reservations that arrive by water have a distinct advantage in that the marina will find a spot for them.

If you are interested as a 'fleet', call the Port Manager - Jerry Rowland at (360) 692-5498. Talk with him directly; he is always helpful.

Regarding tides -- On Friday, if a boat can make it from Shilshole over as far as the Port Madison, Suquamish area north of Bainbridge Island by 4 PM, the incoming flood tide will just about flush you right through Agate Pass before the 6 PM high slack water. From there, Brownsville is in sight. If prevailing wind is from North so much the better. Even at high slack, and no wind, motoring to Brownsville would not be hard.

I was going to post this on the SJ web site but wasn't sure if anyone cares.

Give me a call at (removed, let christian know if you need his number)

Ivar
cklamp
Site Admin

Return to Fleet 1 News & Upcoming Events