Capsizing...

Most current Fleet 1 News. Post anything you want or need about upcoming races or events. Also let everyjuan know if you plan on attending the next race

Moderator: Charmed Juan

Capsizing...

Postby S.S. Undine » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:40 pm

Couldn't find much info on this subject.
So I'm just going to ask, how often does this occur with these sj21's?
I'm a bit new to sailing and loving it very much. But my fear is having my
little guy flip, fill up and sink to the bottom... I keel up quite a bit with just
my mainsail alone to where water is already coming over the side and just wondering
if my jib will push me faster or just roll me? I'm sailing solo and traveling very
lite, so if I end up in the drink it wouldn't be the end of the world if I could right
it. Anyways any info would be very helpful.
S.S. Undine

Re: Capsizing...

Postby Scout » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:07 am

you should never sail with your keel up.. if conditions get radical, close your hatch so water won't fill the boat should you get knocked over. If your keel is down and pinned, the boat will right itself.. should you have your hatch open and the boat fills with water the 400lb keel will probably sink the boat.
Scout

Re: Capsizing...

Postby cklamp » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:02 pm

I've sailed heeled over so far that water came in on many occasions, and never been worried i'd capsize. As soon as you really start heeling over like that, if you've set the stays and boat up properly she tends to round up into the wind, dump wind, and the water drains.

I'm not even sure i've heard any stories of an SJ21 capsizing. I'm sure it's happened, I just don't recall any stories. We used to have a great pic on the national site, sj21class.org of a 21 that was pretty much 90 degrees to the water line struggling with their spinnaker, but no capsize.

Later
C
cklamp
Site Admin

Return to Fleet 1 News & Upcoming Events