Keel lowering and sails

Need help with your San Juan 21? Got a hot tip on how to make your boat go faster? Easier to sail? This is the place to go.

Moderator: Charmed Juan

Keel lowering and sails

Postby dannyswanson » Fri May 08, 2015 12:06 pm

I have recently purchased a SJ21 that needed a jib. The Cal 20 jib matched specs and I ran with it. It has some battens that will need removing for class racing. Does anyone have experience or comments about going this route? I have not checked the main for a match, and am curious if it also matches.

Keel - I have taken it out twice now, and still have not got the keel to drop! The cable is loose, another issue figuring out how to work the winch. I took the cover off to be able to release tension. Does the handle pull out to release, as it will not? The keel has moved down a few inches, maybe 8" below hull presently. I next will remove keel gasket and inspect for problems there. Any recommendations or counsel?

Thanks, Danny
dannyswanson

Re: Keel lowering and sails

Postby San Juan Sailboats » Fri May 08, 2015 2:31 pm

If your boat was in salt water, it probably has marine growth in the keel well.
The Jib is the least expensive sail on our boats. About 300-400 for a new unit.
San Juan Sailboats

Postby dannyswanson » Tue May 19, 2015 9:02 pm

Turns out that it was the keel gasket! The boat had been stored inside with times probably outside, as the keel box had some leaf stuff inside. I had a 12 inch section that was folded up inside between the keel and the box, both sides! That sail cloth along with the leaves wedged the keel solid inside the box. After some major working up and down with a 4 ft. 2x4 prybar, I was able to lift the keel far enough that the gasket sail cloth could slide out. I sailed it for the first time without the gasket, and was surprised at how much water slopping it had without the gasket. A geyser came out of the cockpit drain hole, leaking keel lock bolt, and even the keel cable spilling on the V-birth. I will be re-installing the gasket expecting the leaking to be minimized.
dannyswanson

Postby kuriti » Wed May 20, 2015 1:46 pm

just replace it if you already have it uninstalled. cheap and probably needs it. Steven has them.
kuriti

Postby cklamp » Thu May 21, 2015 4:06 pm

Skip the cloth gasket, go all aluminum and be done with having to do that chore again!

later
C
cklamp
Site Admin

Postby dannyswanson » Thu May 28, 2015 9:47 pm

All Aluminum gasket? I am not familiar with this. The keel still slides down, in a traditional box. And I did notice a lot of turbulent water without the gasket. And yes, after sailing in Klamath this last weekend, nice wind/shallow water/fun sail, the gasket was tucked back with the keel. I was able to remove the gasket back out without much problems while on the trailer at home.
Tell me more about this aluminum gasket.
Danny
dannyswanson

Postby kuriti » Fri May 29, 2015 7:49 am

kuriti

Postby cklamp » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:20 am

A lot of us have ditched Blaire's "trap" at the back end there. I have a chunk of plexi that I cut\molded to make a stop, and the block up in the top of the wheel well is just through bolted through the back of the keel well trunk.

really crude, paint drawing attached of what my setup essentially looks like. I put it together with spare parts from other fleet members for the most part.

later
C
Attachments
keel gasket.png
cklamp
Site Admin

Return to Help Me - Tips, Tricks, & Secrets