Trailering mast supports

Need help with your San Juan 21? Got a hot tip on how to make your boat go faster? Easier to sail? This is the place to go.

Moderator: Charmed Juan

Trailering mast supports

Postby theambitiousguy » Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:16 pm

When I got my boat, it was trailered with the front end of the mast tied to the ship, laying flat against the upper deck. The back end of the mast tied to a 2x4 that was had bent screws threaded through the rudder gudgeons.

That worked, but it was flimsy, so I created a support that bolted to the frame of the trailer in the front, but I'm still at a loss as to how to secure the mast in the back. Dad suggested building something padded to hold the mast in the center too, but I'm not sure it's a worthwhile endeavor.

What do you guys use?
theambitiousguy

Re: Trailering mast supports

Postby cklamp » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:38 am

Lots of different options... You can order a "mast crutch" from Stephen at sjsailboats.com. Some people use a 2x4 with a support at the top and pintles that would drop into the gudgeons on the boat. I built my own mast crutch out of 2 pieces of 1x2 red oak, with a "fork" with a cutting board insert for the mast to "slide" on at the top that the mast sits in. Picked up some inexpensive pintles at fisheries supply and attached them to the oak 1x2's.

I'll try to take a pic if I get a minute, but we're busy with North American's coming up this week:)

Later
C
cklamp
Site Admin

Return to Help Me - Tips, Tricks, & Secrets