Outfitting for cruising

Need help with your San Juan 21? Got a hot tip on how to make your boat go faster? Easier to sail? This is the place to go.

Moderator: Charmed Juan

Outfitting for cruising

Postby Dark'n'stormy » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:49 am

Hey guys, how's it going over here? New member, long time SJ owner. I've had two san Juan's so far, both fixed keel mark ones ( a far superior boat, the best of the San Juans) and while I'd rather have a larger boat overall,I have to say I am in love with my sj, for what it is, it's an amazing boat. I live in anacortes, and have the islands as my back yard, when my boat is in the water, I'll sail 3-5 times a week. I used to race on a hobie 33, dinghies, Santana 20, owned a Santana 27 for a while, I'm a boat guy, work in a boat yard, crab fished the Bering, fished all over Alaska and Washington, but I enjoy cruising with a cold one and the stereo bumping more than anything else these days... Anyway.... As you guys are reading this, I'd just like to say, I'd rather get a Columbia 26 for this idea, but, I already have my sj, it's in excellent shape, and my idea is crazy enough to maybe work...

I was poking around the Internet, and came across a boat named "black feathers" which is a cal 20 a guy transpac-ed and came in 2nd... Look it up! That guy is nuts... But, it got me thinking.... The squirrels in my head started running....

What would it take to outfit my boat for open ocean cruising?

now before I get the "what in the world am I smoking?!" let me clarify, I do live in Washington, and it IS legal! Just kidding...

Seriously tho

When I mean open ocean, im talking 50-60 mile shots...more specifically, The east coast of Florida to the Bahamas/carribbean and island hopping, sleeping in a hammock on the beaches, swimming the reefs, passing time away in a sleepy rum bar, you guys get the idea. My boats on a trailer, so, I'd outfit it here, trailer it there, park the jeep and trailer in storage....

As far as what equipment I have, it's been rewired, new deep cycle bank, brand new Yamaha 4hp, lowrance hds5 gps chart plotter sonar, it's getting new sails this year too.

My main ideas are filling the voids under the berths with closed cell flotation foam, rebuilding the interior, stiffening up the chain plates, add some internal bulkheads, replacing the thru hulls, glassing in some transducers, reinforcing every piece of deck hardware, new windows, roller furler, reinforcing the transom, making the v berth a little more comfortable....

If I go through with this, the rigging and deck hardware is gonna get replaced, I'm gonna add a self steering weather vane, radar dome, ais, radar reflector, some good radios, sat phone, a second gps chart plotter (something with a big screen), I'm gonna put some antennas on the mast, epirb, stanchions and lifelines, new rigging, new lines, a good motor mount, possible solar panels, all led lights... I'd build in a nav station with the electronics inside...

It's a small boat, I get it, but I've heard stories of guys doing the Bahamas in a west wight potter.... I'm not too concerned with living space inside the boat, it's just a place to sleep after all.

I realize the limits of a San Juan.... The question is not should it be done, but.... Could it?
Dark'n'stormy

Re: Outfitting for cruising

Postby kuriti » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:58 am

I have thought of the same thing and you are in a better position having a fixed keel. You would definitely want to beef up your standing rigging. Search the forum for bulkheads as there are good ideas for making metal ones. I would re-rivet the mast with stainless if you have never done it, maybe beefier hardware. As for filling the berths with foam, don't bother. if you fill up with water, you are going down regardless. I would put access hatches in instead so you can utilize that space for storage. Maybe a life raft if you accept there is no stopping the sinking and one or two bilge pumps to slow the process. Bimini? not a lot of space to hang out, so will need to utilize all you can. maybe a forward canopy as well for same and water catchment. 4hp is plenty. Gas and water storage might become a challenge, maybe water bladders under the coffin berths?

Do you have reefs in your main? i wouldn't bother with storm sails, but a deep reef would be wise. I don't know you need radar. Your biggest danger would be a schedule, so just sail when you can see and only during good weather windows. I agree with the AIS and radar reflector though. i would get a tablet with GPS and chart software as my back up chart plotter rather than an expensive dedicated system. Once you get there, you could use a tablet on wifi as your computer for email as well. I understand that most navigation there is by sight anyway and safest approach is to make lots of small hops instead of long runs.

Do it! So i can live vicariously through you!

cheers,
Kuriti
kuriti

Postby cklamp » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:11 pm

You should check out the national class forums too... they have sailors in Florida that might be able to provide more information. AFAIK all of Fleet 1 are puget sound, or lake sailors:) I think a few have ventured up into the Juans and the Straight, but that's still fairly protected, and like Kuriti is saying, the schedule seems to rule.

As far as foam, he's right, it's of no use. I can't speak with any personal knowledge but i've seen that discussion time and time again on the old sanjuan21 harbor. We do have one Fleet 1 member who did buy a small storm sail jib and has actually flown it while racing in some seriously nasty winds. I don't know if i'd advise either way.

Also, if he has a MKI1 Fixed keel, the chainplates are glassed in unlike the MKII\III's so no replacement needed, but I would double check them to make sure they are "sound". One eastern wa SJ21 had his chain plate start to slide out during a race as the glass job was compromised.

Later
C
cklamp
Site Admin

Postby Dark'n'stormy » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:11 pm

Hmm, yeah, my boat is a saltwater boat, it's been everywhere in the San Juan's... I will take it out for a week or more at a time. I almost wish I bought a 6 hp engine instead of the 4 hp because of the tides I often run into. I end up motoring as much as sailing because the wind will simply die going around an island, but will blow like a banshee once you get around it. I fly a main, and a 170% genoa most of the time, so she scoots. I had her doing almost 10 kts in the straights with the 170 on the way back from Friday harbor with me and my two buddies, the tide was ripping, but we were hauling...

It surprises me to see you guys say the foam under the berths ( all the berths) wouldn't do a thing, but I was also thinking of it as a stiffener to overall beef up the boat....what do you guys think about that..?

I wonder how much foam it would take to keep the boat floating if it got swamped.... After a little reading, I found this chart at the very bottom with some formulas... http://www.glen-l.com/weblettr/weblette ... ation.html

I didn't know there were a difference between the fixed keel and swing keel chain plates, but would there be any suggestions on the fore and back stays? Rebedding or otherwise?

Yeah, I'll definitely check out other classes
Dark'n'stormy

Postby cklamp » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:44 pm

Well, I meant our SJ21 National Class forums http://sj21class.org/phpbb2/index.php :) There are some Florida sailors out there who might have specific insight to that area.

The difference in chainplates AFAIK is between MKI and the MKII\III's, not swing vs fixed keel... the 1's have the chainplates embedded into the fiberglass between the windows. The II and III's have a chainplate that sticks up through the deck for the shrouds to attach to, but connects to those pieces of plywood that set up a "cabin" area. Pictures\info that shows the different decks here http://www.sj21fleet1.org/fleet-officer ... /sj21-boat

As a stiffener i'd be surprised if the foam helped there either, I think it'd just crush, but I really can't say for sure. The people who've stiffened up the 21's hulls, that I know of anyways, have cut open the QB bunks and fiberglassed strengtheners in that way.

Later
C
cklamp
Site Admin

Return to Help Me - Tips, Tricks, & Secrets