Anti-fowling paint

Need help with your San Juan 21? Got a hot tip on how to make your boat go faster? Easier to sail? This is the place to go.

Moderator: Charmed Juan

Re: Anti-fowling paint

Postby cklamp » Wed May 10, 2017 4:52 pm

My "stop" is a little different from others though, as I used Chris Popichs old aluminum gasket, It was too short for my boat so I needed to "fill" in a gap at the end. I had some Acrylic chunks laying around so i used those to build up an angled block. Supposedly you want a small gap at the tail end for the aluminum to expand\contract as you hit waves, and it bounces around. I handled that a different way cutting the end of the aluminum at a 45 degree angle, and making my "stop" to match, so it can just expand\contract and ride up on that block.

Later
C
Attachments
Stop.png
cklamp
Site Admin

Postby kuriti » Thu May 11, 2017 5:10 pm

The line diagram was helpful. I assumed the stop actually kept it from coming out of the keel trunk vs being pushed up into. Didn't know there was a line to pull it tight. I am assuming the action of the keel pivots it past the stop as you retract it?
kuriti

Postby cklamp » Fri May 12, 2017 12:05 am

kuriti wrote:The line diagram was helpful. I assumed the stop actually kept it from coming out of the keel trunk vs being pushed up into. Didn't know there was a line to pull it tight. I am assuming the action of the keel pivots it past the stop as you retract it?

Yes, as you retract the keel, the keel head will pull the gasket forward and past the stop (but uncleat it:)). You need the line to pull it up tight against the stop and cleat it off so it stays in place. I'd also make sure you have a "stick" to shove in the drain hole to free it up just in case it gets pushed up too high:) I say stick in "" because I actually have a stick for that rare occasion, but I think Popich has an old broken golf club handle he uses, lol.

Later
C
cklamp
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Help Me - Tips, Tricks, & Secrets