Anti-fowling paint

Need help with your San Juan 21? Got a hot tip on how to make your boat go faster? Easier to sail? This is the place to go.

Moderator: Charmed Juan

Anti-fowling paint

Postby balder.matt » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:01 pm

I am a new SJ21 owner and I have the MKII model. I would like to get the boat ready for use in salt water this summer and could use any tips that people have on this. I know that painting the bottom with anti-fowling paint is necessary but I'm wondering about painting the centerboard and up inside the trunk. Would I need to remove the centerboard to do this or is it even necessary to paint inside there? Are there any other components that shoud be upgraded if the centerboard is out for painting? What about zincs, are they needed? I have a Johnson 7.5hp outboard on it.

Thanks!
balder.matt

Re: Anti-fowling paint

Postby cklamp » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:08 pm

Hey Matt... where ya from and how long is the boat going to be in the water?

My boat was a saltwater boat, and likely attached to a buoy for many years... If you're going to leave it in the water long enough to worry about "stuff" growing anywhere, then yes you'd want to make sure the Keel has anti fouling, as well as inside the trunk. If you're only going to have it in the salt for a weekend or two here and there I probably wouldn't worry about anti fouling paint, just make sure to clean it off good when you take it out.

That being said, after seeing the hull of my boat, I don't think I'd ever want to leave our boats in the salt long enough to have that stuff accumulate. It's too much of a paint to clean it all up once it does start growing. I had to have my boat up on a lift in my driveway for probably 3 months or so to get the bottom back into shape.

Later
C
cklamp
Site Admin

Postby balder.matt » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:18 pm

Hi there,
Thanks for your response and info. I'm from Olympia and I might have the boat in the saltwater for 2+ weeks this summer. After looking at my owners manual it looks like complete removal of the center board is hard because the main hinge pin is glassed in. Not really sure how much growth I'd get up there, just trying to be proactive. Maybe there is a way to spray antifowling paint up in the trunk it the board was lowered down?

Thanks,

Matt
balder.matt

Postby cklamp » Wed May 01, 2013 3:38 pm

Matt, any chance you're going to make it out to any races with us? We're going to be somewhat close to you at American lake this coming saturday if you're free? We actually have at least one member farther than you, down in Chehalis who comes up from time to time, so please don't think you're not welcome:) We're also really "new" guy friendly, even though the term "race" can be intimidating to some.

As far as the bottom paint goes, i've heard stuff can grow in as little as 4 days. Doesn't mean it's noticeable IME as i've had my boat in the Salt at NOOD's which is about 3 days total and never saw anything specific, but i'm sure the foundation for growth has been laid in that time. You could try something like mclube hullkote which says it lasts for up to 20 days, as opposed to a full bottom paint. http://www.mclubemarine.com/hullkote/

"Lasts more than one full year above the waterline and more than 20 days of hard use below the waterline (2-3 coats will increase performance and durability to more than 30 days below the waterline)"

For only 2 weeks or so a year, bottom painting is a pretty big job I think, but that's just my opinion:)

Later
C
cklamp
Site Admin

Postby Krysia Ry » Fri May 03, 2013 10:44 pm

Is that a paint to keep the birds off yer boat?
Bill
Krysia Ry

Postby balder.matt » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:05 pm

Hi all, thanks for the responses and suggestions.

So it's been a few years of summer saltwater cruising in lower Puget sound mostly and I have been leaving the boat moored longer each season just because I then sail her more often. I have been giving the bottom a few coats of Mclube before season start but last year after two months in the salt, it was a big weed patch.

Looking into antifouling options now but not thrilled to go to a boat yard and pay all the equipment and use fees just to get my boat in the air. Have seen people build their own lifts but I don't have a good flat place to do this.

Is there anyone from the forum in the Seattle/ Olympia vicinty who has built a lift and would be willing to "host" a fellow San Juan owner for a weekend so I can paint my hull for a reasonable price?

Thank you
balder.matt

Postby balder.matt » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:27 pm

Well, I have a friend of a friend who does hydroplane racing and offered to help me put my boat on stands at their shop. It's even inside!!

Anyone have a good tip on where to score some centerboard gaskets on the cheap?
balder.matt

Postby cklamp » Mon May 08, 2017 12:21 pm

balder.matt wrote:Anyone have a good tip on where to score some centerboard gaskets on the cheap?

Don't bother... build your own Aluminum gasket and be done with those for good:) You can also paint the aluminum with your antifouling paint and have 1 less place for growth.

If you must replace with a cloth gasket, I'd contact Stephen at Sj sailboats.

Later
C
cklamp
Site Admin

Postby kuriti » Tue May 09, 2017 4:21 pm

I would love to see a more thorough write up for building a metal gasket. Ran out of steam on the rebuild, but would like to do that next time I paint.
kuriti

Postby cklamp » Wed May 10, 2017 4:44 pm

kuriti wrote:I would love to see a more thorough write up for building a metal gasket. Ran out of steam on the rebuild, but would like to do that next time I paint.

It's really simple tbh, not sure there's much extra detail to go into. You might have to flatten the back of the keel head for a hinge to attach straight and true. Then you get a piece of 1/4" aluminum and route\cut it down to fit up inside your keel well. Note that some keel wells are wedge shaped, fatter or wider at the top or bottom, some are straight up and down, and some are hourglassed. So, each piece of aluminum is likely custom to the boat.

You attach an eye to the stern end of the gasket, and a block at the upper after end of the keel well, then punch a hole up into the cabin. You then tie some line off at the gasket, run it straight up the aft end of the keel well to the block you attached, circle the block and run it across the top of the keel well where it can come up into the cabin and be tied\cleated.

You also need a "stop" so when you tug the line the gasket doesn't continue up into the well. A simple piece of Angle affixed at the right height at the back end of the keel well, and you're done.

Later
C
Attachments
Gasket.png
cklamp
Site Admin

Next

Return to Help Me - Tips, Tricks, & Secrets