Spinnaker Rigging.

Need help with your San Juan 21? Got a hot tip on how to make your boat go faster? Easier to sail? This is the place to go.

Moderator: Charmed Juan

Spinnaker Rigging.

Postby cklamp » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:40 pm

My boat doesn't seem to have ever had a spinnaker so I thought i'd make sure i'm doing the right thing here.

For the Halyard block I already had a "ring" on the my mast above where the forestay connects, so I put the halyard block up there. I know there's a spec for how high it can be but I haven't taken out a tape to measure it yet. I'm only about 3" above the forestay though currently and hoping I don't have to install something different onto the mast to get a block up there.

For the Spinnaker Poles Lifting block I had a little "tang" that was pop riveted onto the mast right about where the spreaders are that wasn't being used. I don't recall anything in the specs for that line's placement but does that sound like the right place for it?

I found some deck organizers and ordered a couple of those up as well as a few new blocks/cleats to replace the 34 year old units on mine, so I should have the lines layed out pretty neatly soon enough... I'm not entirely sure what arrangement everyone uses, but suggestions are appreciated. Currently my boat is setup to have the Jib uphaul on one side and the Main on the other, but i'm now adding 3 more lines to play with and not sure if I like that arrangement.

Thanks
Christian
cklamp
Site Admin

Re: Spinnaker Rigging.

Postby DeGuzman » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:48 am

I would look at Chris' layout. I think he has one of the cleanest deck arrangements. I have the same spinnaker set up as he has.
DeGuzman
Site Admin

Postby cklamp » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:30 pm

I looked at what Chris and Stephen both did. I was actually going to wait a season and just sail with what I have now to figure out what I like best. But I have to add some cleats/blocks from the Spinnaker rigging anyways, so figured i'll just replace my old broken, nasty, 34 year old cleats and blocks before hand.

I like how the "Deck Organizers" clean up the deck on Stephen's so i'm throwing two 3 Sheave ones on mine. I was just going to use Cheek blocks but found a place online that had some nice ones that didn't cost much more than a full set of cheeks. I also like the basic cleat setup that Chris uses.

I'm am contemplating moving my winches up onto the Deck like Stephen. Mike has a set up there that also came in very handy in that position from time to time as well to get a little etra beef on the Jib Halyard, etc. But I still waver, they are pretty big and would take up a bit of space there.

Mike has those "clam" cleats for his jib sheets and while they work pretty well, I tended to get ropes caught back into them a lot when tacking. Probably just my inexperience, but one less thing i'd like to worry about as i'm learning.

Later
C
cklamp
Site Admin

Postby jeffcooper » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:57 am

Where do I find Chris' layout of Spinnaker rigging. I just received a Spinnaker from my Aunt in Jax, and I have no idea how to rig it.
jeffcooper

Postby Wildcat » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:52 am

Resurrecting this old conversation to request pictures of spinnaker rig layouts on a Mark I. Am trying to figure out where to stage the downhaul block, given the Mark I's cabin design. Thanks one and all.
Wildcat

Postby San Juan Sailboats » Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:25 pm

The Pole Guy line works best if the block or fairlead on the deck is a couple of inches in front of the mast. This way when you pull the line tight against the pole up line, it swings and holds the pole forward. You have to loosen the lines when you pull the pole back.
On Chosen Juan, it's 11" in front of the mast.
San Juan Sailboats

Postby Wildcat » Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:33 pm

Got it, thanks for that.
Wildcat

Postby Wildcat » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:54 pm

One more question...I saw the DIY spinnaker pole description elsewhere, very helpful thank you. Has anyone fashioned a bridle for their spinnaker pole and if so what length? Wire or rope? Thanks again for the hand.
Wildcat

Postby San Juan Sailboats » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:12 pm

Most boats don't use bridals. I have not heard of any poles breaking.
San Juan Sailboats

Postby Wildcat » Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:05 pm

Great. Thank for confirming
Wildcat

Return to Help Me - Tips, Tricks, & Secrets