Post under compression post

Need help with your San Juan 21? Got a hot tip on how to make your boat go faster? Easier to sail? This is the place to go.

Moderator: Charmed Juan

Post under compression post

Postby Tom 1690 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:47 pm

Just forward of the keel and under the compression post there is an enclosed space. I unscrewed the inspection port and discovered it was full of water under there, and removed about 10 gallons of water. It seemed to be fresh water, not salty (didn't taste it), maybe rain water. Here is a picture of what it looks like:
Post lower.jpg
Post lower.jpg (128.48 KiB) Viewed 145 times

I was able to easily push the tip of a pocket knife into the wood about 3/16" and am thinking this post needs to be replaced. The top of the post looks like this, and I don't see that there are any bolts or screws holding it in place anywhere:
Post upper.jpg
Post upper.jpg (126.74 KiB) Viewed 145 times

I'm thinking to just rip/cut/pry the old post out, cut a new one to fit, and use some fiberglass or epoxy to hold it into place. Just wondering if anyone has any advice or experience regarding this post, or any suggestions as to how to go about it. Mucho Thankos!
Tom 1690

Re: Post under compression post

Postby San Juan Sailboats » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:35 am

Not uncommon,
I keep the port open so I can check it regularly.
San Juan Sailboats

Re: Post under compression post

Postby cklamp » Mon May 08, 2017 12:18 pm

Mizu didn't even have this post, nor an inspection port. I'd just read numerous reports of other people here having issues, and the Balsa under my mast was mostly rotted so I did all these repairs at the same time.

Removed the compression post and mast base, then cut open the fiberglass to see how the post you're talking about was, and it was non existent, so with the compression post removed I was able to cut a piece of PT 2x4 and wedge it into place. I made sure it was slightly taller than the space as my compression post, without this block, was rotating up and forward so the deck was being pushed down. By wedging this piece in here I was able to raise things back up and get it straight again, I think I just used some sealant like used for the gasket retainers, not epoxy to hold it in place as it wasn't going anywhere anyways. I replaced the balsa in the cabin top deck from below. Once that was all done slipped the compression post back in and tightened it all up.

Later
C
cklamp
Site Admin

Return to Help Me - Tips, Tricks, & Secrets