Keel position

Need help with your San Juan 21? Got a hot tip on how to make your boat go faster? Easier to sail? This is the place to go.

Moderator: Charmed Juan

Keel position

Postby Ron Cole » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:42 pm

Hi,

I am wondering when one would use the partially descended keel position and what are its advantages and disadvantages. Where I sail, the strongest winds that I usually experience are 15 knots with gusts to 20. I am assuming that partially descended gives me better speed but more heel. Maybe the Centre of Lateral Resistance is moved back and changes the feel of the boat? Maybe it makes tacks less sharp?

At my area's usual wind speed, I do not feel much difference between partially or fully descended. I don't race but am looking for best efficiency and performance.

Your opinions and tips would be much appreciated.

Regards,
Ron
hull # CLK215960874
Ron Cole

Re: Keel position

Postby kuriti » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:16 am

i agree there isn't much obvious change in the tiller half way down or all the way.I think from a safety standpoint, i would leave all the way down unless you are going down wind on a light day. If you get blown over to far, it could come crashing back into the keel trunk and being half way would only aid in this happening. this coming from a guy who uses the swing keel as a depth sounder generally and only pins it when i am in the [MOD: And you kiss your mom with that mouth?]. above about 15mph, my keel gets pinned and a companion way board gets put in (and probably a life jacket). my keel does not have any other holes for pinning, not sure if yours does.
kuriti

Postby San Juan Sailboats » Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:32 pm

The 21 suffers from lee helm. This is the tendency for the boat to steer away from the wind instead of into the wind (weather helm).
Weather helm is better as you get the keel and rudder biting into the water and have the foils working for you. To balance the boat so it has weather helm, we rake our mast aft to move the center of lift more behind the keel.
The Clark Boat Co. Move the angle of the keel forward a little somewhere between hull numbers 40 and 75 to help the lee helm.
If you have the keel half down, you will have much more lee helm, and the boat will be slipping sideways more. You will be pointed into the wind OK, but you won't be heading up wind as much.
San Juan Sailboats

Postby Ron Cole » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:09 pm

Thank you for you replies.
I almost always pin the keel. I have two pin settings so can pin it partially descended.
I have a good amount of mast rake and the rudder is perfectly balanced with mild weather helm. I will now observe how the partially descended keel position affects the helm.
Is partially descended noticably faster?
hull # CLK215960874
Ron Cole

Postby San Juan Sailboats » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:05 pm

I have not sailed with the keel half way down so I can't speak to that.
My guess is that it would be good off the wind or down wind.
Going up wind, you may see good water speed but you will be slipping more sideways.
San Juan Sailboats

Return to Help Me - Tips, Tricks, & Secrets