Vintage Ronstan Deck Track

Need help with your San Juan 21? Got a hot tip on how to make your boat go faster? Easier to sail? This is the place to go.

Moderator: Charmed Juan

Vintage Ronstan Deck Track

Postby 3-2-Juan » Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:44 pm

Hello shipmates,

We're new owners of a well used 1975 Mark 2. It's got all the usual wear and tear plus a few dirty secrets due to neglect. Our backyard boatyard has been tackling the immediate issues so we can safely get our new ship launched and get our feet wet without getting soaked. Today's question is about the vintage Ronstan jib tracks up near the mast( I assume they are for the working jib). As you can see in the picture, I have the sliders but the blocks went missing while under the care of the previous owner. I have no idea what they use to look like. Has anyone up-graded blocks on the original sliders? How did you do it?

Ronstan c-track.jpg
How would you attach a block to this vintage Ronstan track slider?
Ronstan c-track.jpg (52.92 KiB) Viewed 478 times

Thanks in advance for your insight and keeping up this forum with it's wealth of information.

Andy
3-2-Juan

Re: Vintage Ronstan Deck Track

Postby kuriti » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:16 am

I replaced both track and car. Best pic i have of mine below. Sounds like you are trying to just add back an original block though, it has a spring that keeps it "erect". Below is the Garhauer equivalent as a reference that I used, but it won't fit your track. Stephen might sell replacements that fit your track, not sure. Regardless, I highly encourage you to pull the track, drill out the wood core and fill with epoxy for each through bolt to avoid (any more?) water intrusion. if you can't find anything, i might still have my old ones, but you should probably just replace after 40 years.

Last edited by kuriti on Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
kuriti

Postby 3-2-Juan » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:25 pm

Thank you, Kuriti. Great looking boat!

You're right, I was trying to salvage the vintage equipment that was still functional until we get caught up on "projects". We do have signs of moisture in the deck core. I'm not afraid to pull out the saw and grinder to tackle the repair, just not right now. I figure as soon as the new core is in, we'll install the epoxy pads as you suggest. Thank you!
3-2-Juan

Postby 3-2-Juan » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:59 pm

After looking into some options I discovered these little beauties from Harken. It slipped onto the post of my Ronstan slider and will allow me to upgrade to new sheet blocks. For about $8 each they postponed a hardware upgrade that would have cost me a couple hundred dollars.

Harken_UAdapter_Assembly_for_38_Post_HK093.jpg
Harken_UAdapter_Assembly_for_38_Post_HK093.jpg (26.84 KiB) Viewed 429 times
3-2-Juan

Return to Help Me - Tips, Tricks, & Secrets