Keeping Swing Keel Up

Need help with your San Juan 21? Got a hot tip on how to make your boat go faster? Easier to sail? This is the place to go.

Moderator: Charmed Juan

Keeping Swing Keel Up

Postby TrygFast » Sat May 07, 2016 10:19 am

I have relatives with waterfront property that has mud flats out front. I'm planning to be cruising my San Juan 21 MKII to visit them this summer. In the past, with a different boat, I have easily hoisted the centerboard and let the boat sit on the mud (when the tide is out) while tied to a mooring at this location with no problems. I'm wondering if I can do the same with the SJ 21? My biggest concern is that I don't want to put strain on the wire cable that holds up the centerboard. I would like to be able to lock or support the centerboard in the up position through alternative means. Any ideas most welcome!
TrygFast

Re: Keeping Swing Keel Up

Postby San Juan Sailboats » Sun May 15, 2016 5:58 pm

It shouldn't be a problem for the keel cable. You don't want the keel hanging by the cable when on the trailer but on the water, shouldn't be a problem
San Juan Sailboats

Postby TrygFast » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:51 pm

Thanks San Juan Sailboats! I will try it out this summer and report back if there are any problematic issues I discover. I'm optimistic given your feedback. (I also have a spare cable just in case something goes wrong).
TrygFast

Postby kuriti » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:53 am

I would encourage you to switch to an amsteel line rather than wire. 1/4 in will hold something near 5000lbs. I have considered a "girdle" where i put a strap around the belly of the boat for intense motoring against waves which i experienced in my last long cruise, but never followed through. I would imagine a tow strap wrapped around would be cheap insurance.
kuriti

Postby 3-2-Juan » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:08 pm

Sounds like you've done this before so you know the drill. A few summers back, I watched a 22' swing keel sailboat get the stuffing beat out of it pounding on the 'mudflat' in front of our house in a 35 knot westerly. The boat was fine until the flood and when the water got deep enough the boat started to hobby horse and pound on the hard sand. It was tragic to watch.
3-2-Juan

Return to Help Me - Tips, Tricks, & Secrets