Cruise Preparations

If you're planning on doing some cruising and would like some company or just a nice place to organize it, post here. Also, if you had a great cruising experience and would like to share it with other sailors, post here.

Moderator: Charmed Juan

Re: Cruise Preparations

Postby Schlem » Tue May 11, 2010 5:27 pm

I'd be interested in seeing more information on your S&G project.
74MKI #808 Cacafuego
Schlem

Postby Schlem » Wed May 26, 2010 9:19 am

The mighty Cacafuego lacks a battery and running lights... So, I have a stock of AA's and AAA's for everything. I'm thinking about a solar panel and LEDs. Could add some interior lighting as well. Time on the trailer is just charging time. The question I haven't worked out is how big a battery I would need for even the tiny loads of LED's for a (hypothetical) week of sailing. And where to put the damned, heavy lump. I briefly explored the high-tech option of a compact lithium-ion storage battery. I could buy a huge boat and moor it for a looooong time for the cost of that.

In the spirit of power independance, the Nicro vent I put in the new hatch is solar powered:
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=9494&engine=adwords!6456&keyword=nicro+solar+vent

And I just picked up a crank/solar radio (has LED flashlight, Wx channels, and charges cell phones [15 !! minutes crank time = 1 minute talk time]):
http://www.amazon.com/FR160B-Microlink-Self-Powered-Weather-Flashlight/dp/B001QTXKB0/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1274888277&sr=8-10
Now I can bask in some thought-provoking NPR while on the briny... It's kinda burly and maybe even water resistant.

As to a boom tent... Hints/tips. critical issues; is it merely some kind of tarpauline shaped to fit the sheer, when draped over the boom? Seems like a really handy piece of kit for expanding living area and mitgating the falling damp.

And why is the best weather happening only when I work?
74MKI #808 Cacafuego
Schlem

Postby Diarmuid » Wed May 26, 2010 10:41 am

Re: running lights & stuff. LED ones use little power but are still expensive. For occasional use, stick-on nav lights with integral batteries are fine; remember you need different aft lights for sailing vs. steaming. Some folks buy a 360 degree stern light & make a 240 degree shield for it.

We have the original running lights; the front combo light is so small, so low, and so close to the furling unit I can't believe it would be visible. It may someday get replaced by side lights. Not much room on this bow, is there? A forward combo light that clamps to the pulpit is another idea. We power our running lights from a jump-start pack, connected to the switch panel via a 12V plug. Our house battery -- we like redundancy when out for a week -- is a big group 27 flooded (115 AH), in a battery box, that's next to the keel trunk, starbd side. It powers our handheld VHF, GPS, trolling motor, and sundry other bits & bobs. It's overkill for normal house use. Interior lighting comes from individual, battery-powered LED puck lights; a battery lantern w/ radio, and a 12V automotive spotlight (16 gazillion candelas) which we use for navigation, repairs, & signaling. We have a similar, smaller spot w/ 12v plug & cord reel, useful for rummaging in the hold.

We use a Coleman all-around LED battery lantern -- small, light, yet quite sturdy -- as our anchor light. We run it up the backstay on a halyard w/ a retrieval cord. It burns for many days. You can buy solar versions of same, and also LED camping lanterns that flash SOS.

Hiking headlamps are indispensible; we carry two. One is a compo halogen/LED. They seem to corrode fast in salt air, tho. For our mooring light, we are adapting a bright, white solar garden light. One of the difficulties with solar anything -- panels, rechargeable radios, etc, is that you have to keep them abovedecks during sailing hours. We found on our Catalina passage, when things got boisterous, we had to put our 30W panel below for safekeeping. So it didn't have a chance to charge our troller batt.

Our electrical setup is not rationalized, but it IS redundant. Stuff like lanterns, VHF, GPS can run on internal or external power; we bring the 12V charging cords. The house battery and the jump pack can serve for each other by hot-swapping plugs. Now, if anyone has seen a 3700 AH 2Vdc telecom battery just lying around, pls let me know. One of our dozen has croaked & a new one is $2300. Eeek.
Diarmuid

Postby Schlem » Wed May 26, 2010 11:21 am

Good stuff. Thanks
74MKI #808 Cacafuego
Schlem

Postby cklamp » Wed May 26, 2010 7:59 pm

As I recall, the former "Habagat" Had some clamp on running lights. When we did winter vashon Fausto just clamped the bow light to the Forward Hatch, and the stern light to the motor mount. They were battery operated, and had a pretty long run time as I recall. You could buy LED versions of the same things and get even more run time out of them if you wanted.

For inside lighting, I have some of these http://www.amazon.com/Mini-Floating-Wat ... 120&sr=8-1 The only bad thing is they aren't battery replaceable, but they do float, they are waterproof, and they are LED so they've lasted a really long time. I just used some velcro and i can take them on or off as i wish and use them as moveable flashlights if needed.

later
C
cklamp
Site Admin

Postby Schlem » Wed May 26, 2010 8:13 pm

I still have those, but I thought if I went solar, I could eliminate some dry cells from the landfill (no longer needing to be specially recycled). Dunno how often I expect to USE running lights, but I love a project...
74MKI #808 Cacafuego
Schlem

Postby cklamp » Thu May 27, 2010 8:20 pm

True enough... you could always look into rechargeables, and a solar system to charge them:)

later
C
cklamp
Site Admin

Postby Schlem » Thu May 27, 2010 9:51 pm

ACTUALLY, that's a system that scales very nicely to my needs. No big lead/acid or spendy gel lump in the boat, I can always prioritize my needs and have redundancy in backup batteries. By Jove, I've shifted tracks. Thanks, Christian!
74MKI #808 Cacafuego
Schlem

Postby PGSJUAN » Fri May 28, 2010 9:41 pm

I plan on using a stretch 21 for the cruise. This will probably be my last cruise due to my age. I have had some wonderful times and wish I could go on forever but all good things come to an end. Please everyone have a chart of where we are going and a method of taking soundings. I have found a fish pole with a sinker works well. A time piece , chart and a depth sounding device will help you navigate most anywhere in the sound. A GPS is nice but you need a back up in case the batteries go dead. I have been to Barkley Sound and back with a depth sounder, watch and a chart.
I tried dry ice once and found it did not last any better than regular ice and was a lot more expensive. When buying ice when you are out cruising the fish buyers have the best ice and it is almost always cheaper than the markets. A good tide table is a must. I would not use Capt Jacks unless they have improved a lot. Last time I checked them they were way off on predictions. I use Ports And Harbors which covers Puget Sound and north to northern Vancouver Island. A hand held VHF radio is nice, but I have done a lot of cruising without one. I still have a Radio Shack AM FM Short wave radio that would receive VHF broadcasts.
I look forward to seeing as many as can come on the summer cruise. I can meet boats at Sandy Point shores for the run to Sucia.
Gene
PGSJUAN

Postby cklamp » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:57 am

Glad to hear I could help Todd...

I wish I could do this San Juans trip:( but it's not looking like it's going to be in the cards... Job's out there are just too shaky for me to take this kinda time off:(

Later
C
cklamp
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to SJ21 Cruise Organization and Reports