rudder dimesions

A place to comment on anything and everything related to our boats and sailing. You can also post photos of your recent sailing adventures.

Moderator: Charmed Juan

rudder dimesions

Postby BenjaminDavis » Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:08 pm

So I purchased a SJ21, yesterday and I am super stoked! Problem is the rudder that came with it is laughable. No biggie I will FAB my own. Question. What are the dimensions for the rudder to keep it within measure? Also, any one know where a fella can get a data/capacity plate for an SJ?
BenjaminDavis

Re: rudder dimesions

Postby San Juan Sailboats » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:48 pm

The National website has the class handbook, it has the Rudder dimensions.
Can you post a picture of your rudder or tell us what it's dimensions are?
San Juan Sailboats

Postby kuriti » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:46 am

Congrats! You will love it. did you get the one with the dual exhaust pipes? I have considered fabricating a rudder, but using my current one to make a mold. thought about it a lot, but never could figure out the best way. If you are free handing it, you must be better than me at fairing. You could probably get a used one for very close to the time/materials in fabricating one. even if it needs repair, might save you some time and headaches. on the other hand, half the fun of these is the projects. enjoy!
kuriti

Postby cklamp » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:38 am

Do a search on here... a previous Fleet 1 member, Todd Schlemmer, built a rudder.

I've played around with building my own as well. Some cedar stripped, planed, and flipped lengthwise, then epoxied together make a strong and lightweight core. Put some matt\epoxy over it and you're good to go.

Later
C
cklamp
Site Admin

Postby BenjaminDavis » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:55 pm

No, Kurti, I didnt get the "go fast" SJ. I probably would have but the guy never got back to me. I did find the dimesions for the rudder and now am just looking at maybe "fixing up " an old one. that is the only thing keeping me from getting on the water and i am kinda in a hurry to find something. just do not feel like coughing up 600$ for a new one right now when i havent even put it in the water yet.
BenjaminDavis

Return to Dockside