scuppers an illegal mod for racing?

A place to comment on anything and everything related to our boats and sailing. You can also post photos of your recent sailing adventures.

Moderator: Charmed Juan

scuppers an illegal mod for racing?

Postby BenjaminDavis » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:02 pm

Hi folks! This year is the year I FINALLY get to purchase boat and get back into racing. I am interested in a SJ but noticed that it had been modified with scuppers and was wondering if that would disqualify it from sanctioned racing? I didnt see anything in the rules against it but felt it better safe than sorry to find out before i purchase this thing and find out I cant race. Much appreciated! Hope to see you guys out on the pond!
BenjaminDavis

Re: scuppers an illegal mod for racing?

Postby cklamp » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:22 pm

Benjamin is this the boat up in arlington?

Personally, I'm not sure off the top of my head if they'd be illegal or not. I don't think so, but you'll want to check the class handbook and go over it. It's available at www.sj21classs.org in the resources section. It doesn't mention "scuppers" by name, but you'll want to read through it, and see if there is anything that could be interpreted that way. Also, you can email the class measurer for his take.

If they are illegal, there are many other boats out there without this mod and we'd be happy to see if we can find you one. If you were really in love with that specific boat, they look like they could be taken out fairly easy. I don't know why the guy thinks it's "sea worthy now" that they are installed, but it seems to imply it wasn't before their installation. I don't know if he's just dissing the SJ21, or this specific boat. If the latter, you might want to find out why, and\or if there is something else wrong with the boat. Deck soft, transom soft, etc, etc.

Later
C
cklamp
Site Admin

Postby BenjaminDavis » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:01 am

CKLAMP, thanks for the info, i dont have my heart set on any boat in particular. Just heard that sj21's have a pretty active fleet and is trailerable. I am most concerned with being able to race and not have a dock fee every month. Any line that you have on another SJ would be great. I am definatly in the market.
BenjaminDavis

Postby cklamp » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:20 am

Moved the post over to Dockside...

I don't know of too many right now in this area, but there are quite a few out there depending on how much you want to spend vs how much elbow grease you have in your driveway... other than the usual CL search, you might want to post on the class forums located at www.sj21class.org/phpbb2 as well, and check out their fs\wanted forums.

http://portland.craigslist.org/grg/boa/4831202514.html
http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/boa/4835259861.html
http://spokane.craigslist.org/boa/4774023714.html

I sent an email to Chris Popich, he's a member of Fleet 1, and our Class Treasurer so he sometimes knows a bit more about what's "out there" or possibly coming available.

My boat started out as a 1000$ crap pile, but with a good amount of elbow grease, she's as fast as any boat in our Fleet.

Later
C
cklamp
Site Admin

Postby BenjaminDavis » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:46 am

right on. thanks man!
BenjaminDavis

Postby cklamp » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:15 pm

Another thing to think about is MKI vs MKII\III. If you're never going to cruise, then a MKI is probably the best option. If you do plan to ever cruise or overnight, a II\III is better. But in terms of racing speed and competitiveness, I personally haven't seen any difference in speed.

ChrisP did say he's seen the MKI I linked to at a race a few years back, so it might have been well taken care of at some point in it's life.

Later
C
cklamp
Site Admin

Postby San Juan Sailboats » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:39 pm

Can you describe these scuppers and where they are?
San Juan Sailboats

Postby cklamp » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:56 am

Stephen, I think it's this boat. http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/boa/4831220331.html

I just noticed the motor mount's been moved to the "wrong" side... I'd probably be a little bit concerned about that, since there's no balsa stiffener on that side.

Later
C
cklamp
Site Admin

Postby San Juan Sailboats » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:48 pm

Those should not have any effect on the boat being in the spirit of One Design
San Juan Sailboats

Postby kuriti » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:30 am

those scuppers look cool. Looks like you have a big ole V8 in there and those are the exhaust. If you need those though, you need to get the hell back to shore because you are in some serious s#*t. I agree about the engine mount, it should be relocated or at least check that they have updated the transom core across the entire back.
kuriti

Next

Return to Dockside