Hi everybody

A place to comment on anything and everything related to our boats and sailing. You can also post photos of your recent sailing adventures.

Moderator: Charmed Juan

Hi everybody

Postby GaryGertley » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:04 pm

Well I finally got my boat launched so, I guess it is time I met everyone.

My name is Gary Gertley. I met some of you at past runnings of the Blanchard regatta at the Center for Wooden Boats. I have a 1979 vintage San Juan 21 MkII that is named Little Wing. I think the hull number is 2080, or close to it.

Right now my boat is moored at Union Washington in Hood Canal. My father in law offered to cover the moorage if I let him use my boat. I live in Issaquah, much too far from my boat. We will probably try to find moorage in Lake Union or Lake Washington this fall.

We are in the process of sorting out some issues with the boat. I was just reading the forum posts on lee helm since that is one of the issues. Something strange is going on with the keel however. The rear most of the two keel bolts does not fit when the keel is down. This may indicate a serious issue with the keel. The keel cables are in the way when trying to insert the bolt and the pulley needs to pass through where the bolt is when raising the keel. I don't remember ever having to remove that bolt before but, it has been a long time.

My boat was out of the water for about 11 years. I do remember that I hit something under water hard enough to cause a leak at the keel pivot pin and needed to have it repaired, possibly at Clark when they were still around. I'm pretty sure the keel bolts worked properly after that so, it probably has nothing to do with that. I am also getting water leaking out where the keel lifting cable comes out of the keel trunk, probably a bad keel gasket. Also, water practically pours out of the rear keel bolt hole, a bad keel gasket may be part of the issue there also.

Also, I need to find at least one genoa fairlead or redo the genoa sheet tracks.

I am hoping to participate in the Blanchard Regatta this year. I'm sure my boat is quite slow but it would be fun never the less.

I hope to meet you all soon and will be glad of any suggestions you have for my boat issues.

Gary Gertley
GaryGertley

Re: Hi everybody

Postby cklamp » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:17 pm

Gary, nice to meet you! and hopefully welcome to the Fleet at some point:)

If you have some time, definitely take a few pictures and post them up, it might help to narrow down the cause, and/or fixes to some of the issues you're having. I also don't think we have any member's out in Hood Canal, but if you find a place closer to central Seattle, i'm sure we can find someone willing to stop by and give you some advice.

As far as Lee Helm goes, my boat is fairly neutral at this point. It's taken a lot of work to get there, but things you can do to fix it in varying degrees of simplicity that have improved the handling of Mizu are... Center the mast, put a new keel gasket on, make sure the keel doesn't have any chunks out of it, sand and/or smooth it out, rake the mast back by lengthening the forestay, and new sails are always a good help too.

Re: the keel bolt, pics would definitely help make it easier to understand what you're seeing.

Just as an FYI, if you plan to race with Fleet 1, we don't use the Genoa. Prevailing wisdom is that the winds up here swing right through the Genoa's wind range with our boats and make it too hard to control. We have two classes, working sails which is just the 110 jib, and Main, and our "Spinnaker Class" which has the working sails + the spinnaker allowed. Personally I like being able to fly the genoa, at least when cruising.

We'd love to see you at the Blanchard regatta!

later
Christian
cklamp
Site Admin

Postby GaryGertley » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:43 pm

I updated my avatar with a picture of my boat. Here is the (almost) full size version:

The 640 pixel limit is a bit of overkill in this day and age. Most folks have more pixels than that on their screens. So, I guess I have to cut off the top of my sail :-(

Little Wing 506x640.jpg
Little Wing 506x640.jpg (82.56 KiB) Viewed 2814 times
GaryGertley

Postby cklamp » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:08 pm

Hey Gary, nice pics:) the 640 limitation is pretty common for Avatars on forums though... I don't think I can change it, but i'll look around. I have the same issue with Facebook too. The very tip top portion of my mast is cut off as they have similar limitations.

Any chance you're going to show up at the BBQ to meet some people in two weeks? or any of the Fall races?

Later
C
cklamp
Site Admin

Postby GaryGertley » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:25 am

Hi Christian,

I'll see if I can make it to the BBQ. I'd like to come and it is possible. I need to talk to Stephen anyway about stuff for my boat.

I'm hoping I can have my boat ready for the Blanchard Regatta in September. I'd really like to have my boat in that race. I doubt that I will be very competitive but it would be fun anyway. I don't think I am going to make it to any other sailing events this year.

Gary
GaryGertley

Return to Dockside