And old discussion on trailer tongue weight

A place to comment on anything and everything related to our boats and sailing. You can also post photos of your recent sailing adventures.

Moderator: Charmed Juan

And old discussion on trailer tongue weight

Postby cklamp » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:14 pm

I was going through our old meeting minutes, and noticed an old discussion about trailer tongue weight... wherein Gene suggested it should be 100 lbs... I said about 200 or so, and Stephen said 20% of weight of boat and trailer... With no real consensus.

I decided to look it up, as this greatly affects the handling of your boat and trailer while your towing... most sites seem to indicated between 9-15% of total weight of boat and trailer.

So basically none of us were correct:)

Later
C

http://www.seasense.com/tech-tips/why-i ... -important

http://www.etrailer.com/faq-trailertowtips.aspx

http://www.sherline.com/lmbook.htm#refrn9
cklamp
Site Admin

Re: And old discussion on trailer tongue weight

Postby Charmed Juan » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:00 pm

I have always though 15%
If your tongue weight is too light, you get the wagging effect, too heavy and you sink the back end of your tow vehicle.
Since our boats are 1400 lbs, and the trailer 400-700 lbs, a tongue weight of 275 to 375 lbs.
I have one of the heavier trailers in the fleet and am around 325lbs. I don't t know there is anything is back there.
Stephen Jensen

San Juan Sailboats
www.sjsailboats.com
206-714-9661
"Stephen @ sjsailboats.com"
Charmed Juan
Site Admin

Postby cklamp » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:37 pm

Interesting, maybe Jim's notes were wrong:)

I've actually never weighed mine, but guessing I should... It's absolutely an important thing to have done right as you're right it greatly affects your handling. Of course, my axle isn't moveable, so i'm not sure what I could do other than move the boat if mine was off. I'm guessing most of us with Fleet Cptn trailers would be in a similar situation.

Later
C
cklamp
Site Admin

Postby jeffd » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:17 pm

I just weighed mine - both tongue weight and trailer. I used an old bathroom scale and a four foot 2x6 "lever", and adjusted out the weight of the apparatus. It probably isn't as accurate as a 'real' scale, but here's what I came up with:

Tongue weight = 350 lbs (!!!)
Total, boat, trailer, stuff inside = 2210 lbs.
(not including my very heavy outboard, no gas, no overnight cruising gear)

I believe the tongue weight - it is quite heavy! Probably excessive, but the boat tows very well - I've never had a problem with swaying at all. I tow with a full sized 3/4 ton van, with air shocks, so tongue weight is not a problem.

My trailer is a 'homebuilt' 1991 trailer, originally designed for a 19' Bayliner. I bougtht it from Pacific Industrial supply and got a bunch of parts, which I assembled. Washington state licensing required me to weigh the trailer at a certified truck scale - it came to 620 lbs. It's heavier now - I've added a spare tire, wider bunks, and a keel support.

I wanted to get a somewhat accurate weight of the boat and trailer, because I'm considering trailering to some other states that have different laws about trailer brake requirements. I don't have brakes on my trailer, and I am trying to avoid adding them (more weight, more cost, and one more thing to maintain!). At 2210 lbs, my research indicates I'm ok in WA, BC, OR, ID, CA, AZ, UT, but not in NV - so I'll have to access Lake Mead from AZ. OK, one of these days, I will weigh the boat and trailer on the truck scale.
jeffd

Postby wolfb4u » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:04 pm

My trailer tows like a string and I can pick it up easily. I would guess the tongue weight to be about 80 lbs. The same is true for my Macgreger 25 though the tongue weight is slightly higher the boat does dance behind me if it is not tight to the stop.

JH

PS I ordered new sails yesterday and can't wait to race them
wolfb4u

Return to Dockside