Ahoy, mates!

A place to comment on anything and everything related to our boats and sailing. You can also post photos of your recent sailing adventures.

Moderator: Charmed Juan

Ahoy, mates!

Postby scurvybrat » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:40 pm

I want to introduce myself here, my name's Charlie. I recently purchased a fixed keel SJ21 and am excited to be joining such an active community. I'm not new to boating but this is my first sailboat! Right off the bat I have some maintenance to do for this boat including purchase an outboard, reseal the chainplates, replace the bulkheads and prepare a tarp or cover.

Is 3M 5200 still the best choice for resealing the chainplates?

If Krysia Ry reads this I'd be interested in getting the specs on his bulkhead solution or comments on other techniques:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=305

Anyone know of a used but good quality outboard for sale in Kitsap county? I'd prefer a four stroke, but that's not a deal breaker. I will probably drop by
Longship Marine tomorrow.

Cheers!
No. 1417, 1975 Mark 2 Fixie
scurvybrat

Re: Ahoy, mates!

Postby cklamp » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:12 am

Hey Charlie, nice to see you made it over here! We look forward to seeing you at some of our meetings!

As far as outboards go, check the for sale section and craigslist.

A lot of us use 5200 but, Sikaflex 751 (I think?) is also used quite frequently.

Thanks
Christian
cklamp
Site Admin

Postby PGSJUAN » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:27 pm

Charlie
The worst thing I can think of to do to someone who uses 5200, is to make them take it apart. I use Sika-Flex 295 LOT.
That is Long open time so you can use the tube more than once. Sika Flex will stick to a wet surface which is handy this time of year. Gene Adams
PGSJUAN

Postby kuriti » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:39 am

Welcome aboard Charlie,

I copied Krysia using aluminum plates I ordered from onlinemetals.com. I am very pleased with this mod. Here is a post with a pic:

http://www.sj21class.org/phpbb2/viewtop ... f=20&t=152

I use 3M 4200 which has all the sealing properties of 5200 without the adhesiveness. Since everything on my deck has mechanical fasteners, i think the adhesive property just adds to the pain-in-the-assness of removing the hardware later. I just finished removing all my deck hardware to paint after bedding in 4200 last year and it was a pain in the ass to get them off. I actually feared damaging the deck or delaminating as i pried up. I can't imagine if i had used 5200.

when I re-did my chainplate through deck fitting, I chipped out as much wood as I could reach, refilled with thickened epoxy, then re-cut the chainplate hole. i recommend this since it is one of the the biggest holes in your deck.
kuriti

Postby Krysia Ry » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:59 am

Well I am glad others have found the chain-plate replacement helpful. Unlike Kuriti, I used 2"x1/4" (I think) steel, as it was cheap and I didn't need an aluminum welder. The design for the steel parts was just taken straight off the bulkheads. Krysia is a Mark III and I am not sure how different the measurements might be in my project Mark II. I will probably use aluminum on this boat. Thats a long way off as I have just cut out the whole V-berth to access and re-enforce the hull. (That is another story.......) The stainless bolts are all coated in silicone where they go through the steel. This is the only place I would put silicone on my boat other than windows. 5200 is a permanent bonding caulk usually used for hull/deck joints. Trying to remove it will result in major damage to your boat although I recently saw a product on-line for softening this material. I consulted Don Casey for bedding info:

www.boatus.com/searchresults.asp?q=bedding%20hardware

Hope this link works for you. The link I had was Casey's old site. Don Jordan's Blog was also useful for bedding compounds:

http://blog.dankim.com/2009/04/24/marine-sealants/

CHeers
Bill
Krysia Ry

Postby cklamp » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:15 pm

I've used the Sixaflex 291 and the 291lot on Gene's advice, and I haven't found taking it apart anymore or less difficult than 5200. That meaning they both suck if you have to take them apart:) Both required mechanical removal, ie a knife, razor blade, sandpaper or grinder. Both SF 291 and 3M 5200 are adhesives.

Of course, I have no idea of the stuff Krysia is talking about, but something to soften things up first sure sounds nice.

Later
C
cklamp
Site Admin

Postby Krysia Ry » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:52 pm

The product to soften up 5200 is called Un-hesive. It was reviewed in Wooden Boat Mag Jan/Feb 2012 # 224. Apparently does work and in non-flammable. There is another product they mention called Debond, which is flammable.

www.un-hesive.com

cheers
BIll
Krysia Ry

Postby cklamp » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:00 pm

That's cool bill! Reasonably priced too... The last time I took sika flex off was a real pain, that sure sounds way easier.

Later
C
cklamp
Site Admin

Return to Dockside