fixed keel boat for sale on craigslist

A place to comment on anything and everything related to our boats and sailing. You can also post photos of your recent sailing adventures.

Moderator: Charmed Juan

fixed keel boat for sale on craigslist

Postby Odd Juan » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:23 pm

Do you guys allow fixed keel boats to race now?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/boa/3444260963.html
Odd Juan

Re: fixed keel boat for sale on craigslist

Postby cklamp » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:49 pm

Hey Ivar, nice to see you on the forums...

No, we currently still don't, and honestly I don't anticipate the class ever will. Fleet 1 has in the past offered a "separate start" for the Fixed keels at events like the Nationals we host, so if we ever get them back i'm sure we'd love to have you and your 3 brownsville slip mates join us. But, as far as racing against the swing keels goes though, I'd never personally support that, and while I can't speak for anyone but myself, I haven't noticed much interest from the rest of the fleet either when the issue was raised last year. The fixed keels really are a completely different boat than the swing keel 21's.

In addition it would be all but impossible for them to race with us, as there just aren't that many places to launch a fixed keel Sj21 where we race it. Most of the ramps aren't long enough for a Fixed keel trailer to launch even with an extension... the trailer would be off the ramp and into the mud. The few places with a lift where we race at, we usually only race at for the larger regatta's like NOOD, where you fall into One Design rules, of which the fixed keels obviously don't meet.

Combine all that with the limited amount of fixed keel 21's out there, and it'd definitely be an uphill battle...

Later
Christian
cklamp
Site Admin

Postby Odd Juan » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:00 pm

Christian:

I understand -- and frankly, I agree with the "ruling."
The fixed keel boats are different...

I was just concerned when I saw the ad on craigslist for a fixed keel 21 that said come race with the local fleet (1).
--- thought maybe I missed something.

Looking forward to seeing you guys on the salt chuck near here again.

Regards,

Ivar
Odd Juan

Postby scurvybrat » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:33 pm

just out of curiosity what are the performance differences between the fixed and swing versions?
No. 1417, 1975 Mark 2 Fixie
scurvybrat

Postby Odd Juan » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:30 pm

Differences can be significant, but really depend on who you ask.

I have owned two swing keel 'Juans and my current fixed keel version. I prefer the fixed keel boat, but am limited by tranportation (can't do "Road Warrior" stuff even if allowed by the association).

I think the fixed keel boats are heavier and more stable - slower to accelerate, etc, but can probably handle rougher water.
Overall performance differences are probably minimal. The sailor will make the difference.

Plus the obvious: no keel trunk giving much mure useable cabin space. No keel trunk to leak or cable and winch to bother with. But launching from a trailer is much harder with the fixed keel. (the three of us here don't even have trailers.) I sail year 'round. I find it handy to be able to go up to the marina, hop on the boat and sail away.

Did you get my message about the us three fixed keel boat owners in Kitsap County (Brownsville) and my contact information?

Ivar Weierholt
#1179 Odd Juan
Odd Juan

Return to Dockside