Hull 1432

A place to comment on anything and everything related to our boats and sailing. You can also post photos of your recent sailing adventures.

Moderator: Charmed Juan

Hull 1432

Postby scotd » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:21 am

Hello all, I'm new to the forum and to SJ21's. I just bought #1432, Mk2, swing keel, in Tacoma. Hope to launch Monday or Tuesday. I plan to spend the next 3 months cruising the Salish Sea (and perhaps on north as well).

The larger bulkhead under the stay attachment has delaminated. I have in mind reinforcing it with additional thin ply on one or both sides temporarily (until I completely replace it). Do you all think that would be adequate for a few weeks of sailing? Any thoughts/advice will be appreciated.

I plan to set her up for sliding-seat rowing as auxiliary power.

She comes with the original 4.5 HP Mercury outboard in excellent shape. It would be convenient to use it for a while, but I'll be out on the water and won't be able run it in a barrel of fresh water after every use as has been done in the past. Is running it for an hour once a week in salt water (Salish Sea) adequate to prevent the problems associated with letting an outboard sit with saltwater in it? (flush the drying salt out with new saltwater). Or??? Any thoughts/advice will be appreciated.

Eventually I'll probably sell the outboard. It's a classic and fits well with the vintage SJ21's. Let me know if interested.

I know most people consider the SJ21 small and light for extended cruising, but it fits my inclinations. Many years ago I spent 6 weeks on a Venture 17 in the same areas, from Tacoma to the head of Butte Inlet and back. In 2013 I spent 3 months cruising from south of Port Townsend to the N. end of Vancouver Island (Alert Bay) on my Marsh Duck, an 18' LOA, 43" beam cross between a sailing canoe and an ocean rowing boat. She weighed 185 lbs including all sailing and rowing gear and a 20 watt solar power system for keeping electronics charged (my design and build). So the SJ21 seems spacious and stable to me.
scotd

Re: Hull 1432

Postby kuriti » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:54 am

that should work as a temporary fix. There are posts on the forum about replacing them with aluminum plating if you want a permanent solution. The SJs are light, but well built. I have given mine quite a beating without any breakage. enjoy your sail.
kuriti

Return to Dockside