DWI 2013 Oak Harbor / Penn Cove

Post your experiences of your last race here.

Moderator: Charmed Juan

DWI 2013 Oak Harbor / Penn Cove

Postby jaltice » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:45 am

Posted some pics. https://picasaweb.google.com/1170327433 ... 13DWI2013#

5 starts each of the two days. Paul took honors with Mizu a point behind.

Would have been great fun to have about 10 boats in our starts, but maybe next year.
Ballard, WA
Parveen, Hull No. 366
jaltice@comcast.net
"There is no cannibalism in the British Navy; absolutely none. And when we say "none" we mean there is a certain amount."
jaltice

Re: DWI 2013 Oak Harbor / Penn Cove

Postby cklamp » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:43 pm

Results are posted... They sure use some funny math though... I don't think it mattered in the standings, but the SI's noted DNS should be finishers +2, yet it looks like they did registrants + 1 instead? I'm not really sure.

Either way, if you didn't go... you really, truly missed out on some of the best SJ21 Racing we've had in a while. Only 1 point separated Paul and myself, and 2 points between Scott and Jim, but even that gap between 2nd and 3rd place doesn't accurately reflect just how close this racing was. The only races where there was a significant gap between 1st and 4th places were the longer courses with double laps, etc, where the Spinnaker boats could leg it out a bit more really. In the shorter 1 Spinn leg courses the gap between 1st and 4th didn't appear to ever be more than 30-60 seconds. Even still many races the committee boat didn't get to sit down between finishers as they'd blow the horn and immediately blow it again.

Juans 2 be and Mizu got into multiple tacking duels over the weekend going back and forth, back and forth. I think one duel had a good 10+ tacks before one side relented and both of us had multiple double tacks trying to fake each other out to get clear wind:) Many of these races ended up with Paul or myself finishing about 10 seconds ahead of the other boat.

Many windward marks were rounded with all 4 boats within 10-15 seconds of each other followed by some frantic spinnaker and pole setting. The flying sails boats did their thing and went straight down the course, while Wild Juan and Mizu gibed back and forth covering a bit more ground but typically getting to the leward mark 1st by 10-30 seconds over the working sails guys.

The wind was plentiful, with a small lull or two on Saturday, but we still got in 5 races despite 1 cancelled race, and a 90 degree wind shift. Sunday was pretty much solid wind all day long, with a total of 5 races there too. Haulout wasn't as bad as expected, but the ramp isn't the best. It was similar to launching at Magnuson boat ramp.

I plan to go back next year, but i'll probably look to see if there is a better boat ramp somewhere close by to use. Luckily Jim was able to launch my boat, but with my truck, and my trailer, even with a short extension I probably couldn't launch my boat off this ramp without submerging the engine.

Later
C

http://www.yachtscoring.com/event_resul ... fm?eID=825
cklamp
Site Admin

Return to Fleet 1 Race Reports